Winterizing Your Crow Wing County Home
Now is the time to start considering winterizing your Crow Wing County home. There are several simple and cost-effective things you can do:
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. A thermostat that is programmable allows you to adjust the temperature remotely, you can lower the settings for the times when no one is at home, and you will save money in the process.
- Furnace Inspection. Call a local heating and cooling contractor and have your furnace inspected, by doing so you will help your furnace function more effectively and it will last you longer. It is ideal to have your furnace inspected yearly.
- Prevent Ice Damming. Ice damming can cause major damage. Indoor air escapes through the roof and melts snow on the shingles and then when that water refreezes as it runs off the roof and it can create a barrier of ice on the edge known as an ice damn. Caulking or weather-stripping can help, but for a long –term solution the best method to prevent this is proper air sealing, insulation and attic venting.
- Insulation. High quality insulation can help control your monthly heating and cooling expenses since less effort is required by your furnace and A/C to heat or cool the home, as insulation is doing a better job stopping air leaks.
- Windows. Now is the time to take down the window screens and put up your storm windows. Strom windows provide you with an extra layer of protection which means more warmth in your home.
If you are looking to buy or sell a home in Crow Wing County this autumn, contact me, Bill Grunewald. My team and I enjoy helping folks like you find just the right spot to live your northern Minnesota Lake Country dream.
Bill Grunewald/ Edina Realty.
Licensed in Minnesota/ Lic # 20204156